Educational Philosophy Books
- Unschooling Rules: 55 Ways to Unlearn What We Know About Schools and Rediscover Education by Clark Aldrich
- Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto (and published by New Society Publishers)
- Free To Learn: Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make Our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life by Peter Gray
- Courage to Grow: How Acton Academy Turns Learning Upside Down by Laura A. Sandefer — This one is in transit to me right now and is top on my reading list!
- Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort
- Raising and Emotionally Intelligent Child by John Gottman
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting by Dr. Laura Markham
- I can’t say enough good things about this book, these concepts and Dr. Markham’s Aha! Parenting website. Aaron and I have taken her Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids online course. And we’re subscribed to her free email newsletter. She is a wealth of knowledge. Highly recommended!
- She also has a book geared more towards siblings, but useful for conflict resolution, which is to say anyone that doesn’t live alone on an island: Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings: How to Stop the Fighting and Raise Friends for Life
- Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More than Peers by Gordon Neufeld, Ph.D. and Gabor Maté, M.D.
- Smart Love: The Compassionate Alternative to Discipline That Will Make You a Better Parent and Your Child a Better Person by Martha Heineman Pieper, Ph.D. and William J. Pieper, M.D.
- Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents) by Eline Snel
- The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves and Empowering Our Children by Shefali Tsabary, PhD
Baby and Early Childhood Books
- Respecting Babies: A New Look at Magda Gerber’s RIE Approach by Ruth Anne Hammond
- Bedtiming: The Parent’s Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep at Just the Right Age by Marc D. Lewis and Isabela Granic
- The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp
- Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth
- Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect and Communicate with Your Baby by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau
Pregnancy and Childbirth Books
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
- The Secret Life of the Unborn Child by Thomas Verny with John Kelly
- Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin
- Expecting Trouble by Thomas H. Strong