We take cooking seriously around here. You might even call us food snobs. Or ‘foodies’ if you don’t want to offend us. (Don’t worry, we are not easily offended.) I collect cookbooks and routinely prowl the web for good food writing. Here are my favorites.
My Favorite Cookbooks
- The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison — What a gem! Deborah is NOT a vegetarian but an omnivore. She advocates more veggies on everyone’s plates, not just vegetarians and vegans. She lives in Santa Fe, NM, and got her start at Chez Panisse. Essential for all foodies!
- Lord Krishna’s Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi — This is a treasured gift from two of our closest friends and fellow foodies (they are both fabulous cooks, and one is from Eastern India). Our families have spent many hours cooking and eating together, and now my family continues to improve our cooking techniques with this treasure. This line from the introduction speaks to me and how I view time in the kitchen: “…cooking is a spiritual experience, much like meditation — a means of expressing love and devotion…”
- The New Vegetarian Epicure by Anna Thomas — I stumbled upon this years ago, long before I was a vegetarian. Two of our favorite recipes in here are Guillermina’s Lentil Soup and the Swiss Chard Crepes.
- Essential Cuisines of Mexico by Diana Kennedy
- An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler
- In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart by Alice Waters of Chez Pannise
- Plenty: Vibrant Vegetable Recipes from London’s Ottolenghi by Yotam Ottolenghi
- Thug Kitchen: The Official Cookbook – Eat Like You Give a F*@k by Thug Kitchen — Also see their blog here
- Vegan Richa’s Indian Kitchen by Richa Hingle — Also see her blog here
A Few Good Food and Cooking Blogs
- Dash and Bella by Phyllis Grant
- David Leibovitz by David Leibovitz
- Isa Chandra by Isa Chandra — Many great vegan recipes and how-to videos
- Nourished Kitchen by Jenny